Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Just speaking the truth and saying goodbye...



I'm tired and I almost didn't blog today, but I came across a statistic on Twitter than just struck a chord with me.  There is someone who posts under the name of Psych_of_Eating and they posted:  96-98% of all weight lost on ANY diet is gained back within 1-2 years. Other 2%? “Life change”. 

I chose the poster of inspiration today because the image reminds me of what it's like on my journey to maintain my weight loss.  It's been a year since I said goodbye to 90+ lbs and it's still a constant effort to maintain course.  You can't go back to the ways you had before.  It HAS to...HAS to be a lifestyle change.  You have to want being healthy more than you want fast food.  You have to crave exercise more than the bag of candy.  Each and every day you have to get up and exhibit sheer determination to fight back against the media, the large processed food corporations, and the temptations of our society.  You have to develop strength to stay the course no matter what the current.  Some days it can be peaceful waters, and seem so easy.  Other days it can seem like the image above - turbulent, chaotic, and can take every ounce of energy you've got just to get through.

The other inspirational thought that has me humming today is a song by an artist that I stumbled across on ITunes.  I was buying new songs for my running playlist and found Mandisa and her album titled "What if we were real".  The song I liked is called Say Goodbye and you can find it on youtube here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6Aa3DIg9Q  I put this on my weight lifting playlist.  "when the hand tries to pull to you back - you don't have to go back".  For those of you who practice a different faith system than I do, there is one word in there that speaks to my faith and I don't mean to push it off on anyone else.  I think this song can be put into the context of our weight loss and healthy lifestyle journey very easily.

In the end I added 15 songs to my three playlists - one for running, one for working out, and one just for fun to listen to when I'm not working out!  Here are a few others that inspired me:

Christina Aguilera - Fighter
The Script - The End Where I Begin - I liked this title - the end of the unhealthy life and the beginning of a new life.  I thought this would be a good cool down/stretching song.
Cheyenne Kimball - Hanging On - good for long runs
Kate Voegele - It's Only Life - "don't run away, don't lose your faith",  I also got her song "Lift Me Up" and Only Fooling Myself --- check out the lyrics for Lift Me Up (somewhere everybody starts there)
Jessie J - Domino - one for my running playlist
Mandisa - Stronger and The Definition of Me - both for my running playlist - great music and words
Francesca Battistelli - It's Your Life - running
Josh Wilson - I Refuse - running

Today was my day off for recovery and happened to coincide with my monthly 90 minute deep tissue massage - love it when that happens!  Personally I think that this massage helps me recover and is a critical part to my long term plan to take care of this one body that I have.  I always tell my massage therapist that she gives me the best 90 minutes of my month!

So in the end I'm just speaking the truth about the fact that maintenance is work.  You don't just hit easy street when you reach your goal weight.  Don't make your journey about a number on the scale.  Make it about choosing day in and day out to do the things necessary to be healthy.  I'm also Saying Goodbye to old bad habits, and embracing my future. 

What are you listening to for motivation or energy for your next workout?  What keeps you determined each day?

Hang in there...you can do this!  I say this for you and for me.  I plan to stay in that 2% and bring some others along with me.

Michelene

No comments:

Post a Comment