Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Blogspot - Day One

Well here I am on blogspot.   Bear with me while I try figure out how to use it.  I find myself posting in too many places, so I'm trying to consolidate and share in one place that many people can find.

So why BaseCamp4Health?  I study everyday without fail - something to do with trying to improve my health.  To me the idea of a base camp is where the headquarters are.  You go out on trips, missions, expeditions, but you know you can always come back to base camp to stock up on supplies and meet up with other members of the team.  I wanted one place where I could store up on links, articles, support, ideas, and sharing that comes from the general fit blogger community.  That is why the name came to me.


For my first post, I should say if you're interested in more of the history of my journey, you can read all about it on SparkPeople.  I've used that website for over two years and Chris Downey is my hero!  That is the best FREE website to track all your food, fitness, and the daily in's and out's of your journey.  I wouldn't be where I am today without it.  I am now a routine blogger for their sister site called The Daily Spark and you can find all of my published blogs here:  http://www.dailyspark.com/blogs_author_view_all.asp?author=5800485

So what did I learn today that I want to keep track of:


1.  I'm loving the February Issue of Eating Well Magazine.  Today I tried their Chiles Rellenos with Chicken recipe but tweaked it to make it my own.  My husband and I gave my version two thumbs up.
 I'm all about Mexican Food and finding a healthy alternative to the fat laden Chile Relleno favorite is a score in my book!  


2.  I was reading the latest issue of Fitness Rx and when I came across the title Potato Chips and French Fries may be dangerous for your health, I thought doh!  Did someone actually pay for that research?  But in the article was interesting information:  "These foods contain dangerous levels of acrylamide, which is harmful to the nervous system, interferes with the reproductive system, and promotes cancer."  I may never eat another potato chip or fry again.


3.  My dog is in the doghouse....she brought me one of my new Zumba sticks that I got for Christmas and I felt like that song from Sesame Street was playing...one of these things is not like the other...


So much for that piece of workout equipment!


4.  There is so much good information in the Winter 2012 Fatloss The Complete Guide for Women from Oxygen magazine publications that I think whatever you are doing, you should stop and go buy this issue.


I intend to try their recipe for Ground Turkey and Pasta Primavera soon so I'll give you a review when I do.  


I used the recipe on page 95 as a base for my Chile Rellenos tonight.  A marinade for chicken breasts:  Combine 1/2 cup OJ (we used fresh squeezed), 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil, and one sliced fresh jalapeno pepper to make a spicy marinade.  Add 2 chicken breasts and let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour or up to 24 hours.  I grilled those and have used them for a couple of recipes now.  I'm sure you could vary up the pepper type and amount to accommodate your taste for heat.


5. While we're talking recipes, I should go back to the Eating Well and say also on page 54 - we tried the Firehouse Frito Pie recipe yesterday and that's a keeper for us as well.


6. I've spent two years now learning about Clean Eating and using their magazine and cookbooks as a basis for how I eat.  I went from 20 years of yo-yo dieting to maintaining with this lifestyle and I'll never change.  If you haven't tried it, buy one of their magazines.  It will be one of the best investments you can make if you're trying to get healthy.  If you prefer info online, check them out at www.cleaneatingmag.com.  

7.  Something new that I just found that I'd also recommend you try is LOVE CRUNCH.  It's made by Nature's Path Organic and their Dark Chocolate and berries granola is delish:








My fitness note for today:  I'm on my scheduled weekly day off so I'm only doing some light stretching and a little yoga.  I swam for the first time in over 7 months yesterday.  I had shoulder surgery and for the first time could actually get my arm all the way around in the freestyle stroke without major pain.  Today my back is reminding me that although I workout all the time, there are apparently muscles in there that only get a workout from swimming.  I'm sore!



So those are my notes for today.  If someone manages to find this post, share with me what you learned today.  Let's get healthy together!

3 comments:

  1. Great job!! Welcome to Blogspot World!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to BlogSpot! I know what you mean about posting in too many places :) The Chiles Rellenos with Chicken looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some more mouth watering dishes you made. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete