Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Base Camp Notes 1.10.12 Myth Debunking & Research

Here's what I've been learning today:

I'm reading today in the IDEA Fitness Journal January 2012 issue.  This is a publication put out for ACE Certified Personal Trainers.  The article that has my attention today is called:

The Fast Food Fallacy by Sandy Todd Webster.  It is reviewing an organization called Slow Food USA which you can find on the web by that name.   You can find their meal for $5 challenge thread here:

https://secure3.convio.net/sfusa/site/SPageServer?pagename=5Challenge_Home


This organization did a challenge for people to submit healthy recipes to share that cost less than $5 a person to make and received over 30,000 contributions.  I have searched around a little on their site, and found a shares farm in a town not far from where I live.  I've been emailing back and forth with the farmer, and for $150 a quarter, I can pick up fresh produce every two weeks during the harvest time.  I spend more than that on produce in the store.


There are a couple of benefits to this thought for me:  1.  I like fresh from the farm produce and 2.  it's on the way to the University that I believe my daughter will be going to next year.  It would be good motivation for me to drop by and say hi every 2 weeks, since it's her current plan to go there one year and then transfer to a bigger university hours from here.  3.  I like the idea of supporting a local farmer.  


Keep in mind that if you research this option, if the crops fail you don't get a refund.  This gentleman also has some chickens, so fresh eggs are a possibility if I want to pay a little extra for those than I do at the store.  


This article battled the general misconception that unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food.  It promoted the idea of teaching clients how to cook more for themselves, pursue cooking clubs where you can share the work/benefit of home made food, and then purchasing at local farmers markets/farms.  That was what gave me the idea to email the farmer that I've been chatting with today.


I've also been researching the following organizations:


1.  www.girlsontherun.org - If you're already a runner you can help raise funds for this company that helps young girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles.  That is called their SoulMates program I believe.  I found a card promoting them at my local running store and want to find out more about it.


2.  www.runrat.com - My daughter did the HellRun this year and loved it.  She wants something more interesting than the general 5k from time to time.  This event is something I want to learn a little more about and it's hosted in Oct 2012.  It's an "Urban Adventure" race event that has running, biking, kayaking, repelling, etc.  I've never done repelling and the thought of it frightens me since I have a very intense fear of heights.  I want to know what they are repelling and how high off the ground it is.  The rest of it sounds fun to me - 2-3 man teams and you get the race course 30 minutes before the start and have to follow clues around town.


3.  www.playtri.com - I intend for this to be the year that I try a sprint triathlon.  Now that my shoulder surgery is behind me and I'm on the road to recovery I want to aim for a race in September.  I think that should give me plenty of time to strengthen and train for it.


On the menu tonight:  From the winter issue from Oxygen magazine - Fatloss the Complete Guide for women pg 49 - We are trying Ground Turkey and Pasta Primavera

For one serving:
1tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 oz ground turkey
1 Roma Tomato
4 oz sliced mushrooms
1 oz baby spinach
ground pepper 
2 Tbsp light Italian Seasoning
1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta


1.  heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add turkey, mushrooms and tomatoes and cook until turkey is brown - about 8 minutes.


2.  Add spinach and cook for another minute or so.


3.  In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients and toss gently to mix.


Cal 489, fats 14g, Sat fat 2g, Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 550 mg, carbs 56 g, dietary fiber 11 g, sugars 3 g, Protein 38 g and iron 5 mg.


This would definitely fall into the cheaper than a happy meal recipe group and way better for you.






My workout today is going to be legs over at the gym.  The latest news on working out is that my oldest daughter asked me yesterday to renew her gym membership.  Could it be that my healthy lifestyle has finally influenced her (she doesn't need to lose weight), no not at all.  Her boyfriends mom asked her to go to the beach with them this summer.  Oh well, whatever it takes to get her to lift some weights and run!


What have you been learning today?  Are you making progress in your healthy lifestyle?  Have you ever visited a farmers market or belonged to a farm co-op?


Let's work on keeping it healthy!


Michelene



No comments:

Post a Comment