Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Foodie Reviews

I made a trip to my favorite grocery store - Whole Foods - this week.  I don't got there often and when I do I roam around for an hour at least.  So here are the new things I'm trying:

Tonight this is on my sauteed shrimp with olive oil, garlic powder and black pepper.

This is the stir fry veggies that went with dinner tonight - one yellow bell pepper, 1/2 an onion, 2 baby bok choy, mushrooms, and one red pepper.  The pepper was minced and everything else was chopped in large chunks.  I sauteed in olive oil, soy sauce and some black pepper.   The red pepper was hotter than I expected but still good:

Trying purple potatoes tomorrow.  I've read about them and have seen a Clean Eating recipe but haven't tried them to date.
Kale - supposed to be one of the awesome powerhouses of your diet - I don't know how to cook it and don't want to deal with that.  I found that eating it in salad was one way that was easy to incorporate it.  I added this baby kale and


I added these to Mixed greens, pistachios, feta and dressing for a salad with Clean Eating spicy meatloaf today for lunch,  The meat loaf recipe was a keeper.

I finally found green tea powder.  It turns out they have it behind the counter where they sell tea and you have to ask for it.  I've read a lot about this and want to try cooking with it. 

Whole Foods posted an article today about trying to make sure you used up all your produce and didn't throw things out.  If I remember correctly there was a study that showed the average cost of wasted, thrown out food per year by a family cost about $600 not to mention the environmental impact of shipping it to the store and disposing of it after you throw it out.  That contributed to my veggie stir fry tonight because I went through the fridge after reading that to see what I needed to cook.

Okay five hours of heavy cleaning, furniture moving, etc - I'm off for a relaxing hot bath and some reading.

What healthy new foods are you trying?  Any new recipes you want to share?

1 comment:

  1. Kale chips are awesome. Toss with some olive oil and seasonings and bake @350*. Watch til the kale just starts getting crisp.

    Or I chop it up in all sorts of soups and casseroles.

    ReplyDelete