Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

New recipe review and notes

 I tried a new recipe for us tonight - Asian Black Rice Salad.  The recipe came from the March issue of Idea Fitness Journal.  Here is a list of the ingredients:

1/2 cup black rice
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 green bell pepper diced
1/2 pint grapes, halved
1/4 c dried cranberries, chopped
1/4 c almonds

Sauce:
1 tsp grated ginger
1 T soy sauce
2 T honey
1 T light sesame oil
1/2 tsp black pepper

Cook and cool the rice.  Mix the sauce and let it sit for 15 minutes to mix.  I would recommend taking the soy sauce out to bring it to room temp.  When I mixed the honey in cold soy sauce it wouldn't blend well until it warmed up.  Mix it all together. 
Here is a picture of it all mixed together.  I really loved it.  I made a double batch and that is what is pictured.















That One Small Adjustment: Finding Your Way to Health This is the link to my latest article published on The Daily Spark.  I really enjoy writing for them.

I finished a three day series of weights at the gym.  I'm doing a new split routine and am really psyched since it's the first time I've been able to do this since my shoulder surgery last May. It's hard for me to hit the gym in the morning since that is not my typical biological clock.  I am wearing my Body Bugg and tracking to see if I burn more calories throughout the day when I workout in the morning.  So far I feel stronger and better throughout the day, but I don't think my calorie burn is that much higher. 

I'm running a 5k this weekend with my daughter and BFF.  This will be race number 3 so far this year.  We're running a bridge route that we haven't done before so I'm not sure what to expect.  It is a new bridge here and this is a special celebration:

This is a picture of it at night. 











Thankfully tomorrow is my day off as far as working out is concerned.  I'm looking forward to what several months of weights will do for me.  Small steps everyday add up to a life long healthy journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment