Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Empowered through fitness and food

Okay I've been silent for a little while -- here's what's been going on....

College tour - one of my daughters starts college in the fall and we recently toured the campus where she is going.  That was freaky - the thought of her moving out in 5 months is outside my scope of being able to comprehend at this moment.  We've been prom dress shopping - can I just say prom dresses didn't look like that when I was in high school?  They also didn't cost that much!  CRAZY!

Shout out to my youngest daughter who found out she is currently ranked 19 out of her class of 377.  Now she's motivated to get to number 15 so she'll be in the top 5%.  Not surprisingly, our mailbox is filing up with colleges sending her brochures.  She plans on going to the same school her sister will be at so there isn't really a competition.  Thankfully the university is only 30 minutes from our house.

I attended an Empower Fitness event this past weekend.  Personal Trainer conferences This company hosts them in several large cities across the US.  My initial impression was negative due to computer website registration issues, but that was cleared up and the conference itself was wonderful.  I plan on attending again next year, and would highly recommend it.  The teachers were excellent and the classes very informative.  I was burning over 3,000 calories a day and got in 21 miles on my pedometer during the event. 

My biggest accomplishment during the event was to finish Sgt. Ken's Fit to Fight Bootcamp Instructor course.  I must have been contemplating suicide because besides working out three times during that all day training, I also had him for 3 other classes during the weekend.  He might have thought I was a certified nutcase by the end of the 6th workout I was in tears but for a good reason.  I realized at that moment that obesity does not define me anymore.  The chances of me losing 95 lbs was slim.  The chances of me maintaining that weight loss was even slimmer.  The chances of me maintaining it post a major shoulder surgery miniscule.  The chances of me recovering, maintaining and then being strong enough to make it thru six of Sgt Ken's workouts in a 2 1/2 day period - mind boggling.  So they were tears of joy and it was one of those moments that I won't forget for a long time. 

 This was Sgt. Ken and me after the last class.  Look past the gym hair people.  If you go through his workouts and your hair still looks good, then you've done something wrong!

Never Quit!  I'm looking forward to next year and to taking the Level 2 trainer course with a fully healed shoulder. 
What's on the menu....tonight I made an Israeli Couscous recipe.  I cooked it in beef broth and then added sauteed onions, mushrooms, and red pepper that had been cooked with a little olive oil.  We served it with turkey breast and asparagus.

I plan on using the leftovers tomorrow by adding leftover chopped turkey and adding balsamic vinaigrette and serving it as a cold salad.  It will be easy to grab and go when my daughter has guitar practice.









On a sad note - we had to put our kitty Jack down.  He had renal failure and there wasn't anything that could be done for him.  That really weighed me down and kept me silent for a week or so. 













As the week progresses, it's my intent to blog about more of the classes I took at the convention.  I really enjoyed learning, working out, and being around others who are inspired to pursue health and fitness with such passion.

If you're in the Nashville, or San Fransisco area, check out Sgt. Ken's ongoing bootcamp classes.  You'll be glad you did.

Wishing you all health and well being,

Michelene

No comments:

Post a Comment