Search This Blog

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Dash Down Greenville 5k with Pics

 March 17 - Dash Down Greenville 5k - This coincides with a St. Paddy's Day parade following the race that shuts down a section of Greenville avenue in Dallas.  Of all the races that we run, this one definitely has the most party atmosphere and the most odd costumes.

It rained a lot last night, but it was not raining at race time.  Things were pretty mild and muggy while we ran.  There were four of us hitting the pavement today.

<----- Me - I ran alone today since my BFF was walking with a stress fracture.  I had my best race since prior to my shoulder surgery last May.  I finished happy, sweaty, and full mouth breathing.  I'm sure that was not pretty!

 Here is me and Susie after the race.  She got some awesome pictures while she was walking and gave me a whole different perspective of the race when I saw them.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to focus on my pace, dodge walkers, and not stop.  I didn't reflect on what was around me so I really enjoyed viewing the race from her eyes and pace.

My mantra today that came to me while running was "get stronger not weaker".  For some reason that kept me going when I wanted to stop.  I did walk the two hills that were on the course so that I could continue running a faster pace afterwards. 

I'll be happy when Susie and I are both uninjured and healthy at the same time!  Until then we'll just do our best and forget the rest!
 We've dubbed this race the Gelato run because after the race we go into Central Market and get fresh gelato.  My choice today was dulce de leche and Cappuccino with chocolate covered expresso beans. 

The theme of this race is beer and I can't imagine drinking that in the morning after the race but there were lots of partakers.  We actually didn't stay for the parade.  We did last year and it was just about 100% beer trucks, beer floats, and beer related stuff.
 This is my daughter, Rachael on the right, and her best friend Autumn who joined us for her first race.  They jogged/walked together and this may be the only time I beat Rachael.  She usually leaves Susie and me in her dust.
 Here are the three amigos who run together every month outside of Central market.  Love the giant fruits and veggies in front of the store.
 This is a security guard at an apartment complex we had to walk by.  Only in Texas will you see a security guard on a horse roaming the property.

This reminds me that I will taunt Susie for races to come because she encouraged me not to park where I originally wanted to, and I ended up getting a $45 parking ticket.  My trunk stuck back into a no parking area by about 2 feet and that was enough for a ticket.
 One of our weird traditions is posing for post race pictures in the tree in front of Susie's house.  I should put them all together sometime to show the changes in the seasons for the races that we have done this for.
 Inducting Autumn into the tree posing experience. 
Post race crashing with Amy the dog at Susie's place.  We all took a post race nap and then sat around and chatted for awhile.

<---- This is a picture of us at the start of the race.  We are among the masses of 8,000 people running this race.  We couldn't see the starting line from where we were and had to wait at least 10 minutes after the starting gun when off before we ever made it up to the starting line to run.

Since Susie wasn't with me, I had to find someone that I could pace with and I ended up behind this guy running with a green grass hula skirt for a while.  I kept thinking if this guy can run in a hula skirt I can keep going.  They only had one water stop during the race so next year I plan on carrying something to drink.




It seems like Susie and I alter between who wants to get up and run when we do these things.  Last time it was her up and around the house and me covering my head on the couch.  This time I was up and she was covering her head in her room.  Rachael and Autumn weren't happy about getting up either.  I went in Susie's room and read quotes to her off her motivational posters on her wall.  Then I played my Nickelback song - If Today were your last day.  Later I came back and played their song "I'd come for you".  I was annoying but everyone got up and we had a good time at the race.  I think I was getting back for Amydog coming and jumping in my face several times during the night.  She thought I would get up and give her a treat.  She treats her doggie snacks like they are crack.  Needless to say, I did not get up and I did not give her one all day long today!

After leaving Susie's, the girls and I stopped at Whole Foods and picked up some great produce and a few things before heading to our respective houses.  My husband, son and other daughter don't run with us so these experiences have become a great bonding time for me and Rachael.

So that's race number 4 of the year in the books.  We continue to enjoy the experiences and are happy to keep on exercising.  Next month's race is undecided so far.  We're looking at options and need to settle on one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment