Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Product Review - The Grid by Trigger Point Technologies

After our latest 5k race, my daughter and I stopped by our local Luke's Locker and picked up a large foam roller called The Grid:

I used this last night as part of P90X2 - mobility and stretching DVD work.  It was my first time for that DVD and I'll do a review on that some other time.  I took extra time than was required by the DVD to stretch on this roller.

Here's why I think it is excellent:

1.  I have a foam roller and a PVC pipe - one is too soft and loses structure, and the other is so hard it is very painful (although really inexpensive at the local hardware store).  This one is a combo of both of those items.  The core is PVC so it maintains the structure, and the orange padding on the outside gives it a certain comfort level above the plain PVC.  The brochure indicates the orange grid combines the benefits of self-massage and core work. 

2.  Benefit is that it is a Green product and features a one year warranty.

3.  If used - it does a good job.  I actually woke up this morning in less pain than normal.  I thought that if this keeps up, I may get rid of my monthly massage fees - okay let's not get crazy!

On the website you can purchase 3 different level DVD's that utilize this piece of equipment.  I don't own any of them and can't speak to how they might benefit. 

I've read about this company before, but thought their items were a little pricey ($69.99 for large).  I was able to get 10% of using my Dallas Running club membership.  Luke's Locker was at the race and was giving away 10% off coupons for store merchandise to anyone who stopped by the table.  Next time you're at an event, stop by their table and grab one.  Luke's only let's you use one or the other, so don't grab one thinking you can get 20% off if you are a running club member.

Still pricey to me with the discount, but I'm glad I bought it and plan on using it daily for a long time. There are shorter versions  There is a shorter version for $34.99 on the website and I've seen that in stores as well.  Since I'm almost 6 feet tall, I opted for the longer version.  If you're a lot shorter, you might not need that option.

IMHO a product worth purchasing - but you've got to use it.  Like all athletic products, they are only as good as your ability to put them into use, and this leaning against the wall in the corner of your room is no benefit.  If you've never used a foam roller before - trust me, you want to use one.  It is great for getting rid of knots, stretching out your muscles, and helping displace lactic acid build up. 

The P90X2 DVD shows Tony Horton using a blue foam roller that looks like a meat tenderizer with large things that stick out of it.  If you're new to foam rollers I would not recommend that.  It takes a while to get used to rolling on these things and taking the pressure you feel when you do get to a knotted area.  I think the meat tenderizer thing is going to have to wait a while before I'll try one of those.

Happy stretching!

No comments:

Post a Comment